Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on cleaning up the power steering fluids. I looked up the manual and it says that I need to use Mopar or ATF+4 steering fluid. However the local autopart stores do not carry any steering fluid with ATF+4 label on it. The parts guys said, it's the transmission fluid (ATF+4) that I should be using. Now, I see online that later model Jeeps used transmission fluid but does my 89 take the same(any ATF+4 trans fluid?)? or should I be using a more generic power steering fluid?

Edit: I just inspected the Power Steering Gear box, it is leaking from the o rings, any recommendations where to buy the O rings, are these generic or very specific to YJs(Im not sure if local parts store carry these anymore but not sure).

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
It really doesn't matter .... auto trans fluid is fine and so is power steering fluid...

Look at what's in it now.... red = atf and clear = power steering fluid

I've used whatever type of atf or pwr steering fluid I had interchangeably for over 30 years

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I run Lucas power steering fluid in my YJ and ATF in my Toyotas either will work fine but i wouldent mix them.

Reactions: vijay

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
For what’s its worth the manual actually states not to use ATF, the original fluid was MS5931...I found the replacement of the same specification by Valvoline 602241

The original Mopar fluid was superseded by the ATF+4 during the TJ era from what I uncovered.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It really doesn't matter .... auto trans fluid is fine and so is power steering fluid...

Look at what's in it now.... red = atf and clear = power steering fluid

I've used whatever type of atf or pwr steering fluid I had interchangeably for over 30 years
Thank you!!! it is red indeed as of now. I will use ATF+4 that I bought last evening...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts