Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day This is my first thread and I know I will get some heat from 4 wheelers and rock climbers. I want to build a YJ street rod so I want to remove to front axle and install a 2wd front axle. So could someone suggest a 2wd front axle that would fit on the YJ chassis. I was told that a Camanche 2wd would fit. Also was thinking of IFS any thoughts.:redface:

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
The comanche as well as the Jeep cherokee had 2wd models that would be compatible with what you are wanting to do. Both had independent front suspension. The only problem you might have without having a donor vehicle to get all the parts from is the steering system, and ofcourse getting coil spring frame towers.

A buddy of mine had a 2wd YJ when he live in Key West, Fla. Lowered, with a 454 chevy motor in it. But you will find out like he did, that the Wrangler is too light of a vehicle weight wise, to build any kind of a street rod out of it, and get it to perform without trying to go sideways and get all squirrely coming out of the start.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Actually, "Ibuildembig" has helped me out tryin' to find parts, and what to look for. He's GOOD with just about anything fab wise and has some killer ideas as well. Look him up, 'n send him a p.m. he's just plain awesome and an all around cool guy to talk to..!

Good luck, They look like a blast..! :punk:

The second one actually has a postal Jeep front end under it I believe.
I just googled "Jeep Street Rod" and came up with a bunch of pics. There was a guy at a local drag track that has a wicked fast jeep rod, it's also licensed with tags..! I see him around at the cruises often.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I've always wondered how a yj would be as a rod.

Never would do it to my own but to each his own.

No one can tell you what you do and don't like.

Would love to see your project unfold.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

I,m going to build a YJ street rod and I will keep you posted of my progress. First I must find a solid and straight YJ and then the project will begin.:D

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
Fyi the Jeep and comanche 2wd models were not independent front suspension, it was a straight tube like an axle without a differential, essentially mimicked the front axle of a 4wd model. As for using one to make a street rod it would be difficult to slam it down to the ground, you'll run into a lot of clearance issues.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I almost wonder if putting the tub on a fabbed up or kit frame would be better.

Just a thought. Then cut the tub to fit the new frame that's better designed for a 2wd hot rod.

Maybe find one that's popular and widen it to the jeeps body.

Not sure how much jeep you want into this other than looks.

Or narrow the tub to fit the frame.

Just I'm thinking the jeeps frame isn't designed to be a ground hugger

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
If it was me I would use the YJ frame, but cut it right at the front body mount and run it out straight and use a front subframe section out of a crown vic or something like that. That way you have a rack and pinion and good suspension you can tune to do what you want. As far as wranglers being too light and going sideways....I dont believe that in the slightest. I've seen 1000 horse chevy vegas go straight and they are shorter and lighter. Good luck with the project, it will be a neat thing to watch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts