Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I bought Rough Country Front Sway-bar Quick Disconnects and I have now had 3 bolts fall out while driving. The hardware in the top connection just does not want to stay in for me. Am I doing this wrong? Can someone provide more detailed instructions than what came with the kit: “Install the links on the upper mount using supplied hardware”? Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
722 Posts
Take a picture on the other side of the link from the outside in. But based on your current picture and the angle of the sway bar I would say the link is to short. The sway bar should be parallel to the ground give or take 5 degrees in either direction (up or down). Anymore than that and the bar is putting added stress on the fasteners as the suspension cycles. Also the top bolt looks to be to short. There should be some threads showing after the nut is tightened, but that may be the angle of the picture.

This is just my observation based on the current photo, a shot from the outside looking into the frame will tell me more.

·
Super Moderator
12,668 Posts
If you are using a conventional hex nut, why not go to the hardware store and buy a couple lock nuts. You may need to get slightly longer bolts to accommodate the locking top of the nut.

Or, you could simply take a center punch and ding the top threads of your current bolt (once the nut is in place) to make a homemade "locking" bolt.

Not all manufacturers take the time to think through every aspect of what may occur once whatever they are selling is actually in use. Did RC supply conventional hex nuts or lock nuts for the installation?

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The sway bar should be parallel to the ground give or take 5 degrees in either direction (up or down). Anymore than that and the bar is putting added stress on the fasteners as the suspension cycles. Also the top bolt looks to be to short. There should be some threads showing after the nut is tightened, but that may be the angle of the picture.
Thanks for the heads up on how to position the sway bar! I'll extend them.

I agree about the bolt being short! I'm not thrilled with the hardware RC supplied and my plan is indeed to install nylon lock nuts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are using a conventional hex nut, why not go to the hardware store and buy a couple lock nuts. You may need to get slightly longer bolts to accommodate the locking top of the nut.

Or, you could simply take a center punch and ding the top threads of your current bolt (once the nut is in place) to make a homemade "locking" bolt.

Not all manufacturers take the time to think through every aspect of what may occur once whatever they are selling is actually in use. Did RC supply conventional hex nuts or lock nuts for the installation?
RC says they are lock nuts, but after losing 3 bolts, I don't trust them.... BTW, their customer service for install help is worthless :banghead:

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I had the same problem with my "DIY" disconnects. I never came up with a solution because I ended up ditching the sway bar a month later. But I would even have lock nuts rattle loose.

My suggestion would be to use a longer bolt and put TWO nuts on it. Ever do a water pump and have to extract the studs? You tighten two nuts against each other. Same concept.

Tighten the first nut as tight as you want it, hold it in place with an open end wrench, and tighten another nut against the first nut.

If you're thinking about drilling through the bolt for a cotter pin, don't. I tried drilling through a grade 8 bolt with a milling machine and it just doesn't work.

·
Super Moderator
12,668 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on how to position the sway bar! I'll extend them.

I agree about the bolt being short! I'm not thrilled with the hardware RC supplied and my plan is indeed to install nylon lock nuts.
I forgot to mention, I always use (if I can find and buy) grade 8 hardware. It costs a bit more, but there is no downside, and for the few cents or dollars more, it may save a breakdown or worse.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts