Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the YJ, the temp sensor on rear driver side of the head that sends info to the gauge had a broke wire on it. After rebuilding head and engine, I decided to get new sending unit and had to splice wire together.

I used to small clip like pieces to connect the wires together, and now it seems to run hot, or at least until now I thought it did. Now I'm wondering if it's got some resistance because of how i spliced the wires. Gonna try to include picture of the connectors. its the white sending unit beside the valve cover.

IMG_3321.jpg

Any ideas???

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
When you replaced the sending unit did you put any teflon or thread sealant on the threads? The sending unit needs to make clean contact with the manifold to read correctly. Also I would try to solder and heat shrink the original wire as your connectors may be altering the impedance through the wire. As I've been told...

·
Registered
81 Posts
So thanks to this thread I have found the issue with why the previous owner of my 93 YJ said that there was a "wiring issue" and that is why the gauge didn't work. I found that the temp sensor was broken in half and the plastic part was melted to the socket. I got the old one out and replaced it with a new one and they plugged back together but now the temp gauge is spiking. I know it's not running that hot. Do you think I need to change the plug part as well and anyone know where to find one? It was a challenge to find the right sensor at O'reily's website but then I had to go to Autozone to get a comparable one. Should I have got the one that was called out on the O'reily website? I was just impatient.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts