Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 87 YJ with the 258ci I6. It has had the nutter bypass, MC carb swap, and I removed all the vacuum lines that weren't needed since the nutter bypass. Now I'm thinking about the TFI ignition upgrade. If you've done it then how much of a difference does it make? Its relatively cheap to do, so thats not a problem, I just want some opinions. :) :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
I havnt done it on my jeep yet but iv seen the difference it makes. The distributer cap it bigger so the spark is more accurate at higher rpms. When running stock distributer cap the spark may jump to the wrong terminal resulting in a cross fire( the sputtering you may hear around 3000-3500 rpms) it can cause more trouble it ur running high rpms for longer periods of time. Plus the new coil will be pushing more juice through the spark plugs( stronger spark ) this means it is less Likely to miss fire. You also get a decent hp increase and better fuel efficiancy. I'm doing it myself in the near future, I don't recommend buying a kit like one from juicebox, they use mediocre parts. You can find a parts list and buy them separate. It's basically the distributer cap and coil and plug wires from a 78 ford f-150 with the 300 i6 motor.
Let me know how yours turns out.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I havnt done it on my jeep yet but iv seen the difference it makes. The distributer cap it bigger so the spark is more accurate at higher rpms. When running stock distributer cap the spark may jump to the wrong terminal resulting in a cross fire( the sputtering you may hear around 3000-3500 rpms) it can cause more trouble it ur running high rpms for longer periods of time. Plus the new coil will be pushing more juice through the spark plugs( stronger spark ) this means it is less Likely to miss fire. You also get a decent hp increase and better fuel efficiancy. I'm doing it myself in the near future, I don't recommend buying a kit like one from juicebox, they use mediocre parts. You can find a parts list and buy them separate. It's basically the distributer cap and coil and plug wires from a 78 ford f-150 with the 300 i6 motor.
Let me know how yours turns out.
Thanks.... I'm thinking of doing it tomorrow. If so I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I finished the TFI upgrade. I only drove it a mile or so to check it out, but so far its great. It always started and idled fine, so no change there, but the throttle response is great. It has much more take off power, which was what I was looking for, as well as better mileage. I'll see how the mileage does over the next couple of days. I would recommend this to anyone.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Should be the distributer cap, the rotor, the adapter for the distributer, the coil, the plug wires. You will also want to re gap your plugs. Stock is .35 and now should be .45. Congratz on getting it all done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts