Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to dig into the body mount bushings and I have run into a snag. 4 of the bolts didnt come out. I have a few Ideas on what to do do get them out and replaced. While digging thru the internet I found that they make TJ full length floor support/Torque Boxes that would replace the body mount nuts on the body. Do they make these for a YJ?

Here is a link to what im talking about.

https://www.autorust.com/product/full-length-floor-channel-subframe-set-wrangler-tj-97-06/

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Reactions: Got it at last

·
Super Moderator
12,662 Posts
So I decided to dig into the body mount bushings and I have run into a snag. 4 of the bolts didnt come out. I have a few Ideas on what to do do get them out and replaced. While digging thru the internet I found that they make TJ full length floor support/Torque Boxes that would replace the body mount nuts on the body. Do they make these for a YJ?
Here is a link to what im talking about.
https://www.autorust.com/product/full-length-floor-channel-subframe-set-wrangler-tj-97-06/
Were you unable to get the bolts to turn or did the bolt break or nutplate break loose from it's cage?

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
You are awesome! Have you tackled this before? If so - Any tips,tricks?
If you are a capable body guy, and have ever replaced quarter panels successfully, these are relatively simple if you have all the proper tools. A bare tub is pretty straightforward, doing it on a complete Jeep is a little more time consuming, particularly if you do not have access to a lift.

If you are not acclimated with a spot weld cutter, you certainly will be when you are done with these. A lot of spot welds in close proximity to each other to achieve the structural rigidity they are designed to provide. If your Jeep doesn’t have carpet or spray in bedliner, it is relatively easy to map out the location of all the spot welds.

You will probably burn through both sides of at least two of the tiny hole saws on the cutter. To do it cleanly you will want to drill holes in the replacement panel at the approximate interval of the OE, and do mini plug welds to the floor of the tub.

I have seen people stitch weld down the sides of the replacement floor support, but these tubs flex more than you can imagine, and the stitch welding is inadequate, as least for my projects.

Anyway, a bit of work to do it cleanly, but if the rest of the tub is solid, certainly worthwhile.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Were you unable to get the bolts to turn or did the bolt break or nutplate break loose from it's cage?

Good Luck, L.M.

Had three nut-plates break of. Just looking for options. Although after digging into it some more the rear nut-plate was easier to get to then I thought. the two side were not bad either. I just made a nice cut line and was able to remove the busted nut-plates. I am putting some nice thick washers in place of them.

When putting on the bushings, the kit i ordered doesnt have a washer or C cup to go between the body and bushing like the old OEM ones had. Should I put one back in there or just leave the rubber touching the body mounts?

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I wasn't sure what you had ordered so I checked my crystal ball but wouldn't ya know it, the batteries were dead..... guess you better provide more info ;)

·
Super Moderator
12,662 Posts
When I did my body lift I had one nut plate break out of it's cage. I used a flat bladed grinder and cut the box open. I don't remember what I used to hold the nut plate (probably Vice grip pliers) but I was able to heat and oil the bolt & nut plate assembly and get the bolt out without breaking it. Then I chased the threads on the bolt & nut plate with a tap & die, refit the nut plate in it's cage and tack welded the cage back in place. Then I welded the cut shut and undercoated it.

I strongly suggest using Anti-Seize when reassembling anything on a YJ.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts