Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the front drive shaft to pinpoint the noise. Still makes a clanking sound in all gears, in neutral and with clutch in. When Jeep is at rest, no noise. Sounds like it's in the transmission. Not sure how or where to ck fluid levels. Could be low.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Check your trans oil by pulling the plug pictured below ...

Oil should trickle out when you remove it. If not, it's low.

You might consider draining it and see what that looks like. Look for metal in the oil.

Mopar Manual Transmission Lubricant P/N 04897622AA or its current equivalent is recommended for the AX5. I think a lot of guys run Pennzoil Synchromesh. I don't have an AX5 so don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
On an AX-5 the fill plug is on the passenger side a lot higher and is a hex nut. You will never get the required 3.2 quarts in there unless you lay the Jeep on the passengers side.
If you look on that plug it is stamped "DO NOT REMOVE"

·
Registered
28 Posts
X2 on checking the fluid , FYI the AX-5 is an absolute turd and the worst trans ever put in a jeep if you rebuild it IT'S STILL A TURD ! and there are not many options to improve it . google replacement options AA makes adapters to drop in sm-420s and 465s a much stronger trans and lower gears down side they are 4 speeds .

·
Registered
168 Posts
on the AX- 5 it is for sure on the pass side, up high. Hex head 15/16" if i remember correctly. Ive changed mine twice, the spot in the picture is marked do not remove.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, located the fill area, and it was almost dry. But no luck in noise going away. Not sure if it's in the clutch or maybe an internal bearing. Don't think it's the throw out bearing because it doesn't change whether the clutch is engaged or not

1 - 12 of 12 Posts