Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 yj lifted with 32" tires. Recently started a very loud popping sound when accelerating in all gears. Does it in 2h and 4h, and also when I engage the clutch. It's intermittent and goes away. At this time 4h does not work but thinking that is a separate issue. Not sure exactly where to source the noise. But it seems major but goes away. Any help would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ckd u joints. They don't seem loose but I'm no mechanic. I was thinking chain in transfer case but would it act up in 2h as well?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Easiest way to check your U joints is to grease them, if they are going bad they will stop making noise for a lil bit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
U joints checked out ok. Thinking it's something internal. Still can pinpoint if it's from transmission or transfer case. Possibly even a clutch issue?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's what I'm leaning towards now. Does it in both 2h and 4h. Once I make a sharp left turn the noise goes away.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you'd check all that and still can't find what's wrong check and make sure your U bolts for your rear leaf springs are still tight after a little they tend to loosen up due to the lift settling. Mine was doing something similar and that's what it was, do you experience any vibration while driving anywhere from 35mph-55mph if so I'd check rear U bolts along with U joints. Just my suggestion from personal experience.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doesn't vibrate, just grinds and pops. Almost as if it's going to pop out of gear. But I will check that as well. I'm open for any suggestions. Thanks!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my 94' AX15, but it is clearly in the transmission. lost a 5th gear syncro about a year ago, but with 3.07 gears and 31" tires i was able to drive it in 4th gear for over a year, doing 65 mph @ 1800-2o00 rpm.

Then I got in a mud puddle that was frozen about 6-8 inches thick, the jeep in front of me broke through the ice, and I had a hard time getting through the big chunks of ice, and after backing up and trying to go forward 2-3 times, I grabbed reverse, and ever since it is popping in the tranny in all gears 1st-4th.

I was curious if a BA10 5 speed out of an earlier model YJ 4.2 will replace my 94' AX15( I found a good deal on a BA10 at a good price. ? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Or would I be better off rebuilding my AX15 ?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
So I was readin through everyone's ideas and then remembered something similar we had few years back. When my oldest son was ready for a car, I picked up an old honda del-sol track car. We were re- street legalizing it. When you would come out of second into 3 rd. If you took your foot off the gas it would pop out of fear. But you could hold it in with just some pressure with your thumb. It would pop a bit and sometimes grind. Turns out the shuft fork was bent, preventing the gears from fully engaging.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I lost 5th also a while ago but with 32's really isn't an issue. I think I've pinpointed my grinding and popping to something in the front end as it comes and goes. Comes when making a sharp right, goes away when i make a sharp left. I have priced transfer cases and tranny's on eBay however and there are some good deals to be had out there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts