Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i believe it is time. the tranny in my 93 4.0 is making some nasty noises in 4th gear. i tried changing out the fluid and that did not make any difference. before it leaves me stranded on the side of the road or worse in the middle of a mud hole i will be swapping it out. Not looking to go crazy just replace it with a re-manned AX15. I have no idea what i have now and my question to the experts is - can i just bolt an AX15 up to the bell housting and transfer case i currently have? its a 93 4.0 so i think i already have the AX15 with a 231 case but not 100%. any tips for just doing a tranny swap? do i need to change out the slave? read in here somplace that they went from the internal to the external slave in 93... now when i am picking out my transmission do i need to know this now or can i just use my current slave that it is mine now?

i have done many clutches and motor swaps but never actually had to buy and install a new transmission? found some online reman ones for around 6-700$ what else should i add to the shopping list?

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
I can't recommend a specific tranny but doing a tranny swap is easy, especially if you've already done a clutch job before. Same principle, removing the bolts from the bellhousing, drive shafts, transfer case, drop the tranny and do all of the work in reverse. I've never done one on a Jeep but I've done them in Miatas and on my old stickshift F150 and it was always very straightforward. Took me and my also-not-mechanically-inclined friend about 8 hours each time.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
The swap is pretty straight forward. If you currently have an internal slave you can just move it to the new tranny because the slave is mounted on the bell housing anyway, just move the new tranny to the old bell housing. If you have not replaced the clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing NOW is the time to do that as well, but you can wait to inspect them after you get started.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts