Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am looking to buy another pre-owned Jeep, this one for my wife. Looking at a tj 4.0 auto. How does it compare to the yj aside from the spring configuration?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Much more plush interior.
Quiter
Rides better on road
More electronics (good/bad)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Less room between dash and driver/passenger. Better front axle set up(no vacuum operated axle) and different slip yoke. And more leg room for passengers in the rear. Other than that unless I'm missing something that's it.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Also better AC; better soft top; better door surrounds;

Because of the reasons listed in this thread (better ride, etc), your wife would probably enjoy a TJ more. At least the average woman would :hide:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I bought my wife a '97 auto. As stated above, the leg room factor, at least for me, was a downer. I was always having something electronic to replace as it aged each year. Clock spring for steering wheel was not fun. My wife hated it from the time I bought it. I figured she would like it better than my YJ...not true. I ended up getting her a used JK, and she loves it, other than the passenger area is useless. TJs and YJs are hands down better for rear passengers. Also, I am one of the few that like the YJ softops and hardware better. The tiny teeth on the TJ and JK softops suck compared to the large tooth zippers on YJs. They don't last as long. Not trashing the TJ, but my wife never liked it period, which I thought she would have loved it, like I said.

Here is what it looked like...I didn't mind it really-

·
Registered
182 Posts
for your wife I think the TJ is a better idea, its more comfortable. I think the YJ is the tough one, and the TJ is the smooth one.

·
Registered
925 Posts
You also you can get the Dana44, no leafs, still rugged but not bare the way the YJ is. I love the YJ but you'd probably be happier with the TJ. With that said, a sh*tty TJ can be a nightmare so buyer beware.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I definitely wanted a YJ for myself - easier to work on and less to go wrong. I really wanted an old CJ - love the old sheetmetal dash! Wish the YJ AC was better - it gets hot here in Texas!

An early JK might be a good solution for her?

·
Mr Jeepy of California
466 Posts
AC in a YJ is the top down.

Personally I would rather get her like a CJ 5 or something. TJ's are a pain to work on IMO. YJ's are dame fine Jeeps all around.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Give me the YJ any day. Remember what it's like to DRIVE a car (jeep) when you were a kid instead of just sitting there like a passenger? I love my YJ and thinking of adding a CJ. Not selling the first just adding another:dance:

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I personally like the TJ for all the reasons already stated. Plus since its for your wife, the added benefit of having airbags is nice.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought my wife a '97 auto. As stated above, the leg room factor, at least for me, was a downer. I was always having something electronic to replace as it aged each year. Clock spring for steering wheel was not fun. My wife hated it from the time I bought it. I figured she would like it better than my YJ...not true. I ended up getting her a used JK, and she loves it, other than the passenger area is useless. TJs and YJs are hands down better for rear passengers. Also, I am one of the few that like the YJ softops and hardware better. The tiny teeth on the TJ and JK softops suck compared to the large tooth zippers on YJs. They don't last as long. Not trashing the TJ, but my wife never liked it period, which I thought she would have loved it, like I said.

Here is what it looked like...I didn't mind it really-
[/URL][/IMG]
My wife has now said she would like a more military or rugged look and feel. I guess I'll be looking for another YJ.....

·
Registered
742 Posts
I hear ya,brother...it's in the jeeps for sale section
You're kidding? I was going to ask you if you would ever consider selling but knowing its your favorite I thought asking could be insulting. Where can I find your machines for sale on the Forum?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
You're kidding? I was going to ask you if you would ever consider selling but knowing its your favorite I thought asking could be insulting. Where can I find your machines for sale on the Forum?
it is by far my favorite of all time but what me and my wife really enjoy is building a harley or a jeep.So,unfortunately,I usually have to sell the toys that we love so much in order to finance the next one..it is on the first page of the jeeps for sale section,titled "highly modified cj7" ..it will say that it's in Ga....we are located about 50 miles from the Florida line in south Georgia

1 - 20 of 41 Posts