Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran the wipers as the motor was warming up this morning.
They swung across to the left and when they hit the end of the normal stroke there was a "clunk" and then nothing.

The wipers will move so nothing is bound up? I'm at work so I haven't been able to check the obvious things like the fuse.

If it's the motor, I haven't found one yet on the internet. Anyone had to replace one and where did you pick it up?

Thanks,

·
Registered
9 Posts
You should not be able to move the wipers by hand easily. If you can you may have broken the linkage. Fold the windshield down, everything is easily accessable. You should be able to get a new motor from Quadratec or a local store.

Chris

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got home tonight and checked it out. Wipers move fairly easily. Turn on the switch and I can hear the motor. Wipers move to the left and stop. Locked up and don't want to move. Once the switch is off, they are released again after a little wiggling back and forth.

Checked the Chilton, Haynes, and Chrysler manuals and accessing the motor sounds as easy as mentioned above.

So it's not the motor, switch, harness or circuit breaker. Something loose or ??? with the linkage?

·
Registered
466 Posts
if you lay your windshield down you can basically see the whole linkage and should be able to see the problem. GL

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the one time the Wilderness rack will be a pain in the neck! Need to drop it's front supports as well as the sport bar botls before we can fold the windshield.

Thanks for the info guys!

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
progress

Folded the windshield over tonight and found the problem. Motor, harness and switch are all fine. Theres a "C" ring keeper that popped off a "derlin" or some other plastic bushing. This allowed the linkage to mangle it.

Two questions:

1. Dealer item or just put in a new motor assy as I'm into it?

2. How do I pop off this first section of linkage from the connector between the two wiper arms? There appears to be a plastic cap with wings. Looking for info before I mangle it with pliers or the like.

Thnaks

·
Registered
29 Posts
2. How do I pop off this first section of linkage from the connector between the two wiper arms? There appears to be a plastic cap with wings. Looking for info before I mangle it with pliers or the like.

Thnaks
This guy never got an answer back and I haven't been able to get anything from google. Any suggestions on how to get that plastic nut with wings off that doesn't want to turn with pliers? Should I just force it off even if it breaks?

I know it's a really old thread but I need to get my jeep street ready by work on Monday...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Again with bumping a real old thread, but hoping op will get the notification and post how it worked out, these are my exact same symptoms.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Had that problem too..only fix was to get a linkage arm from the dealer for about 50 bucks it comes with the plastic caps in it...was told by the dealer they couldnt just replace the plastic caps whether thats true or not but fixed my problem its been over a year now

·
Registered
513 Posts
Had that problem too..only fix was to get a linkage arm from the dealer for about 50 bucks it comes with the plastic caps in it...was told by the dealer they couldnt just replace the plastic caps whether thats true or not but fixed my problem its been over a year now
They sell a kit at auto store to replace the plastic caps. They are universal kits and come with a few different styles. I has to make a couple work. But def doable. IIRC I had to attack a rope to the back side of one of the linkages to pull the cap into place ( its a ball and socket joint. Had to pop the ball into the socket ie. the plastic cup) hope this helps someone. I did mine and had to replace them with in a few months but since replacing 2 nd time it has been over 2 years no problems. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts