Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My yj won't idle or stay on unless I'm giving it gas and won't idle either . It's really hard to start don't know what may be the problem . Need help !

·
Registered
517 Posts
My yj won't idle or stay on unless I'm giving it gas and won't idle either . It's really hard to start don't know what may be the problem . Need help !
What year? If it's got a throttle body, then clean the body and the iac and try it again. Use sensor safe throttle body cleaner. If it's a carb, not sure, never dealt with one.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Plz go read "a better way to get help" in general discussion, which is at the top of the thread right now...when your asking questions like this. Much more detail is needed and that thread will tell you what you need to tell us to help you!

·
Registered
691 Posts
It would have to be a pretty big vacuum leak, i.e. brake booster, intake manifold. Spray the bigger lines, fittings, gaskets with carb cleaner with engine idling and listen for increased rpm's.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have the same problem with my 87' 2.5l. Not to hijack a thread but ya I need to keep just the weight of my foot on gas all the time to prevent stalling... gets tricky at stop signs... ill check the general diss. Thread now

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the same problem with my 87' 2.5l. Not to hijack a thread but ya I need to keep just the weight of my foot on gas all the time to prevent stalling... gets tricky at stop signs... ill check the general diss. Thread now
That's exactly what I have to do so I won't stall . Is yours hard to start also ?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Not really?? Turns over for a sec or two then fires up! However it will NOT start unless I give it a little gas while cranking.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not really?? Turns over for a sec or two then fires up! However it will NOT start unless I give it a little gas while cranking.
Mine is bad I'll have to turn it over and over and give it gas . Sometimes it takes me about 10-20 min to start it . Any ideas on what it may be ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have you disassembled and cleaned your carb or throttle body? Over the years build up occurs and can cause that labored starting issue.
Not at all . I'm just going to get a whole new carb for it . I thought about switching to EFI .

·
Registered
693 Posts
Ok. For the factory setup, you'll want to check out this website:

Adventures Under the Hood

That link above is the definitive online resource that explains the workings of the factory setup on the 4.2L. Please read through all the pages to get yourself familiar with how the engine is set up and how it works. There are plenty of diagnostic tips and tricks to be found.

More specific to the issue you are experiencing is the common condition of clogged idle tubes which is addressed here: Idle Problems.

The carter bbd is very simple to rebuild. If you are hesitant to take a carb apart to clean it out and rebuild it, see if you can get someone you know or maybe a fellow Jeeper near you to help you out. Swapping in fuel injection will be much more difficult than taking a carb apart, cleaning it, and putting it back together.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If your looking at swapping in a different carb look at the Motor craft 2100/2150 or look at some of the different weber carbs. If your engine hasn't had a nutter bypass done to it yet youll have to do that regardless of whatever carb you decide to swap in

1 - 20 of 21 Posts