Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question. Will a YJ get as much suspension travel as a TJ? I know they have two diff types of suspension so i was wondering. I am looking to get a second get and dont know if i want a YJ or TJ.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
on a yj you get a really nice fore and aft rocking motion but nut much left and right. with the coils i found out there is more of a wobble. great for highway travel,like a mercedes, but i don't like the coils for off road. maybe it was just the way the tour jeeps i drove. they were set up with 9 seats in back which changes the center of gravity. just my opinion.......and you know how opinions are.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
tj suspension was an imporvement over yj to an extent. but like jj said, if a yj is built well it will flex as well as anything. leaf springs are also simpler, strong, reliable, and cheaper to work with.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
i don't care for the wobble either. i had a lady puke in my tour jeep caused by the motion.
old yeller 1991 yj
the puker 2005 tj
my daily driver 1994 renegade

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
i'm no tj guy, and i'll defend my leaf springs till death. but the coil suspension was a huge improvement, but it became more complicated also. the coil suspension can make an inexpereinced wheeler look decent, where leaf springs will not. but, like previously stated, a well built yj will do just as well as a well built tj, but it requires a little more skill. yj's are cheaper to build, but there's a reason most jeeps on the trail are tj's these days.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
here they are

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
holy crap, no kidding that ride will suck. look at all the weight on the back. its like having a trailer with too much tongue weight, its gonna ride like crap and be all over the place.

i was picturing a long wheel base wrangler or something.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
holy crap, no kidding that ride will suck. look at all the weight on the back. its like having a trailer with too much tongue weight, its gonna ride like crap and be all over the place.

i was picturing a long wheel base wrangler or something.
I second that! That person in the back end really has some steel ones.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
that back seat multiplied the rock and roll by about ten times. getting airborne was not unusual.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Can't say I wouldn't like to ride back there tho! Give me a harness and someone hit the gas!

·
Administrator
12,548 Posts
either one can be a great trail jeep. Just takes time and money.

YJ with a 4" spring under and 33's will do fine. Move the springs over the axle and it will do even better. But an SOA gets more complex to build, and will flex on the level of a well built TJ. Though flex should not be the only factor when building a jeep.

Tj with 4" lift, is for the most part point and shoot. But has a lot more moving parts, coils, control arms etc. Also most lifts and parts cost more for the TJ.

Thus go drive both and see which one works better for your budget.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts