Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been looking for reviews but haven’t found many. It’s very competitively priced in 35x12.5x17 on DT. I’d love to hear some feedback, they seem to brag about wet braking distance and low road noise.

·
Super Moderator
2,728 Posts
I just picked these up myself. Great price at $234 on DT, they’re $304 on tire rack

Weight is at 99 lbs mounted on Q-Tech hard rock wheels.

255/75R17 vs 35x12.5R17

They measured at 34.5” before mounting, and on the Jeep with 28 psi they’re now at 34” tall.

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just picked these up myself. Great price at $234 on DT, they’re $304 on tire rack

255/75R17 vs 35x12.5R17

They measured at 34.5” before mounting, and on the Jeep with 28 psi they’re now at 34” tall.
Those are some good looking tires, any thoughts on them yet?

·
Super Moderator
2,728 Posts

255/75R17 vs 35x12.5R17

Those are some good looking tires, any thoughts on them yet?
Not anything definitive yet. They’re quiet for now but I think most new MT’s only start to make noise once they wear down a bit.

Won’t be able to get some miles on them until spring.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
If quiet and road manors is your thing, take a look a kenda kleaver 35x10.5r17 load range D. Tall skinny tire should be great in the mud and snow as it wont float as much. It is still wider than stock though so you wont be losing any traction. In the rain I have no issues with them. Could there be a better tire in the rain, maybe but not by much. The voids in the tread are very close to an MT too. That said, they are so quiet. Oh and they are cheap too. Mine mounted at 34" tall.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,882 Posts
If quiet and road manors is your thing, take a look a kenda kleaver 35x10.5r17 load range D.
And only $184 at WallyWorld right now.

Cant find anywhere online their weight. Every other spec but weight, even Kendas website does not list weights for any tire.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
And only $184 at WallyWorld right now.

Cant find anywhere online their weight. Every other spec but weight, even Kendas website does not list weights for any tire.
They are pretty much as heavy as other 35" tires. I did not put them on a scale but easily 90-95lbs with the stock rim. So in the 63-67lb range. WallyWorld had them on rollback a while ago and I got them for $168ea.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,882 Posts
Nice... and thanks. I found a set of 4 on fleabay for $748. But as long as its published by a company and not a private party, DT has always been great about price matching.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Nice... and thanks. I found a set of 4 on fleabay for $748. But as long as its published by a company and not a private party, DT has always been great about price matching.
I dont think you can get them from DT, at least not a few months ago.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If quiet and road manors is your thing, take a look a kenda kleaver 35x10.5r17 load range D. Tall skinny tire should be great in the mud and snow as it wont float as much. It is still wider than stock though so you wont be losing any traction. In the rain I have no issues with them. Could there be a better tire in the rain, maybe but not by much. The voids in the tread are very close to an MT too. That said, they are so quiet. Oh and they are cheap too. Mine mounted at 34" tall.
Not too big of a deal, it’s more important the have a strong sidewall and good mud and rock performance but it’s my daily so I’d rather not have a howling tire and that rides like a wagon wheel.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,882 Posts
No Kenda on DT. WHen you search for that specific tire, Kenda at DT are the first 3 returns on Google. Odd...

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Not too big of a deal, it’s more important the have a strong sidewall and good mud and rock performance but it’s my daily so I’d rather not have a howling tire and that rides like a wagon wheel.
The D range is a pretty thick 3 ply. The E range version is even thicker 8 ply sidewall. It is very similar side wall features to the bfg KO's. It overlays the lip of the rim like a guard so its hard to catch a rock on the lip of the rim. It also has and has some tread/lugs on the sidewall. Though not as large as those found on some MT tires. They call them RT for rough terrain. Basically a toned down MT rather than an aggressive AT. Actually, its similar to the Nitto Ridge grapplers but the voids are larger.

I will be taking them on the Rubicon trail in July.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The D range is a pretty thick 3 ply. The E range version is even thicker 8 ply sidewall. It is very similar side wall features to the bfg KO's. It overlays the lip of the rim like a guard so its hard to catch a rock on the lip of the rim. It also has and has some tread/lugs on the sidewall. Though not as large as those found on some MT tires. They call them RT for rough terrain. Basically a toned down MT rather than an aggressive AT. Actually, its similar to the Nitto Ridge grapplers but the voids are larger.

I will be taking them on the Rubicon trail in July.
I’m sorry, are you talking about the yokos or this kenda tire? The kendas don’t look quite aggressive enough for me.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m sorry, are you talking about the yokos or this kenda tire? The kendas don’t look quite aggressive enough for me.
You know what I take it back these are some cool looking tires, more reasearch to be done.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
You know what I take it back these are some cool looking tires, more reasearch to be done.
To show you what I mean about the size of the voids here is a pic. I set a dime in there for scale.

Attachments

Reactions: USStrongman

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To show you what I mean about the size of the voids here is a pic. I set a dime in there for scale.
I’m a little nervous about going with the less known brand like kenda. Just weary of balancing issues and such.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I’m a little nervous about going with the less known brand like kenda. Just weary of balancing issues and such.
You are right to be worried. Mine took quite a bit of weight to balance on the skinny stock rim. (5-6oz) Kenda is only less known in the automotive tire arena.They are I believe well known in the Motorcycle world.

I felt the very low price was worth the risk and so far I am pleased with the results so far.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I ran the Yoko G003s for awhile. Mine were 35x12.5r17s.

Pros: good road manners. track well and were decently quiet. balanced fairly easily for a tire that big. worked well on the rocks. never got them in really nasty mud. so, i can't say how they do there.

they never cut or chunked or anything on the rocks which was nice.

sold them with about 8K miles on them because i really wanted 37s. so, i don't know how long they will really last. but, i measured the tread depth with an actual gauge and there was very little wear.

Cons: terrible name for a tire. lol. sidewalls are stiff and strong. but, that means you really need beadlocks to get the air down to 8-10 psi. at 15 psi, they won't really conform to anything.

overall, a very good tire. i would have gotten them in 37s if they had a 13.5 inch wide option.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ran the Yoko G003s for awhile. Mine were 35x12.5r17s.

Pros: good road manners. track well and were decently quiet. balanced fairly easily for a tire that big. worked well on the rocks. never got them in really nasty mud. so, i can't say how they do there.

they never cut or chunked or anything on the rocks which was nice.

sold them with about 8K miles on them because i really wanted 37s. so, i don't know how long they will really last. but, i measured the tread depth with an actual gauge and there was very little wear.

Cons: terrible name for a tire. lol. sidewalls are stiff and strong. but, that means you really need beadlocks to get the air down to 8-10 psi. at 15 psi, they won't really conform to anything.

overall, a very good tire. i would have gotten them in 37s if they had a 13.5 inch wide option.
Did you ever have any problems with wandering or the tires not tracking straight? Also how were they on wet pavement? Thanks for the info!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts