Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering the Alpine rear camera mount with third brake light combo.. It needs to be flashed (by the dealer) in order for it to work properly.

I called the dealer to see what its going to cost and they said, "$149".

You have to be kidding me? $149 to tell a comp to talk to a safety feature?

Does anyone know of a way to do this that doesn't include me paying someone to get me sideways?

Thanks,

Jeff B.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Yep, if you have an Android phone its pretty easy, it may also work with an Apple but can't speak to that.
A Bluetooth odbII reader, easy to find on Amazon, and JScan or many of the other odbII readers and save yourself the headache of dealing with the dealer that may not even know how to actually flash correctly cause thats pretty common.

·
Registered
76 Posts
OBD JScan app for iOS or Android, a WiFi or Bluetooth OBDII Adapter and you're good to go.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
My dealer did it for 50$ plus add flash for hard top wiper Bc I have soft top I ask him to add Code in Same time. But if u get the app it does lot of stuff like ur tiers Speedometer day lights and more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,910 Posts
You have to be kidding me? $149 to tell a comp to talk to a safety feature?

Does anyone know of a way to do this that doesn't include me paying someone to get me sideways?
Call several other dealers if there's more than one near you. When we had ours flashed for a backup camera, I had quotes ranging from $39-$150. I told my wife to get in the Jeep quickly and drive to the $39 dealer before he changed his mind.

As you can see, the fee is not a universal set price.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
OBD JScan is the way to go. For less than what your dealer wants you can have the ability to diy now and add other features later.

You can also save by piecing the stuff together.

I used a Quadratec spare tire bracket and an amazon camera. The only alpine part I used was the interface cable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts