Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

621 - 640 of 640 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
My Dad, God Rest His Soul, at the beginning of the computer age, said to me, "This computer stuff is just a fad, it will never last".

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
My Dad, God Rest His Soul, at the beginning of the computer age, said to me, "This computer stuff is just a fad, it will never last".
My Dad died at the age of 88 at the end of 2012. His feelings were just the opposite. He knew we would all live through electronics until our demise. He also wanted with all his heart to learn this new age but my mother would not allow it in the house. To this day I feel bad that I didn't try to introduce him to more than I did.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Ever wonder what life would be like, without the internet? What would our world around us look like, feel like? I still have my pager and my small vinyl squeeze purse full of coins for the pay phones, which are really from another century.

·
Registered
174 Posts
It would be more difficult to sit out the pandemic without it.

I told our 6yo foster kid that my toys made no sounds. I had to make them myself! And they were made of real metal. I even had a pair of roller skates with metal wheels. They were handed down from my mom.

He plays with my hot wheels cars now. Some of them may have value, because I’m that old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
What would our world be like without the net? Would times be harder now without it? Much simpler all around would be my guess. Just think. No unnecessary panic fueled by constant propaganda. We would deal with things on an individual basis just as was done in earlier times.

As to Hot Wheels. I still have some along with track and other accessories. A Lionel train from 1960 and a Lionel slot car set from 1964. They all still work.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I have my old Erector Set and Lincoln Logs. Wished I still had my JC Higgins (Sears) 24" bike, with the horn in the tank, and the whitewall tires, with streamers in the handle bars.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have my old Erector Set and Lincoln Logs. Wished I still had my JC Higgins (Sears) 24" bike, with the horn in the tank, and the whitewall tires, with streamers in the handle bars.
As some guys get older they may need a different kind of erector set.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
393 Posts
You know you’re old when you go to dig out that comfy T-shirt and all you find are collard shirts?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I have my set group of "comfy" shirts, much to my wife's dismay. She buys shirts that are much to stiff, not soft enough, with collars that slice you ears off!

·
Registered
215 Posts
when you think back to the first time you got gas and it was under a buck per gallon. that is of course if you can remember that far back.

·
Registered
393 Posts
when you think back to the first time you got gas and it was under a buck per gallon. that is of course if you can remember that far back.
Wait I’m hearing with oil barrel selling in the negative the gas is going for less than a dollar in some parts of the USA? Are we getting younger?

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Under a buck!!!! Good Lord, I probably have underwear as old as you. :eek: I used to get gas for $28.9 a gallon when I started driving. This was during the gas wars. I'm only 66 and don't really consider myself old. I remember when gas hit $1 and people went nuts.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
We had a Crosley TV, black and white, small screen, but it was the first on the street, and folks would plop their folding chairs in our living room to watch "the new marvel", 16" console.1950

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I pumped it at $0.28. Wore a uniform with a bow tie, had to wipe your windows and offer to check your oil.

I also remember when rainbows were in B&W.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
You know you are old when someone comments how cheap gas prices are today. Hah, they did not live in the $.23 cents a gallon for regular era.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Ever wonder what life would be like, without the internet? What would our world around us look like, feel like? I still have my pager and my small vinyl squeeze purse full of coins for the pay phones, which are really from another century.
I recall our first color TV, clothes dryer, and phone answering machine. NASA was probably the only one to have a computer when I graduated HS. We'd survive just fine, at least most of us.

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
I recall our first color TV, clothes dryer, and phone answering machine. NASA was probably the only one to have a computer when I graduated HS. We'd survive just fine, at least most of us.
When I went to the university to study EE, we were told the university had "a computer". That was hot stuff. But not for long, the IBM PC came out about the same time, the Macintosh 3 years later.

I actually worked on one of the very first Macs, along with a Lisa and an Apple /// during an internship at an advanced ceramics company in 1984. Their only other computer was a Nixdorf mainframe (basically a rebadged IBM 370) And by then I had upgraded from an HP calculator to my own Apple //c.

But before all this, my old man actually taught me how to use a slide rule!

621 - 640 of 640 Posts