Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, granted this is the YJ forum so a little bias possible, lol:)
This one may be just a little old for me to even go look at. Havent had good luck with the older ones I have looked at and this one is the oldest that has interested me. Worth a look? Price I think is too high first off and I would want to put the rear seat back in.

Thoughts or hold off for newer one. I always get nervous of replaced engines or transmissions because I have no mechanical knowledge. Is that fairly reliable? I just get nervous about a newer engine in them if it was legit or shade treeish?

AUTOMATIC vintage style 1987 jeep wrangler YJ. This jeep is awesome, its got all the updated accessories with a sound bar and JVC player with AUX input & Bluetooth. The back seat was replaced with custom sub-woofer which has a 12" infinity kappa sub, powered by a Orion amp. Its also pre-wired for a CB radio. It sits on 31" tires on 15" american racing white rims, and a suttle 3" lift with new leaf springs, shocks and suspension installed by Xtreme Auto. Everything in this jeep looks and works awesome, its got a newer Jasper straight 6 with about 13k has both A/C and heat it also has Posi-lock installed for 4X4 (no more vacuum line headaches) It does pass emissions. It has very little rust and has been my daily driver. Solid and Reliable! has hard top. This jeep being a classic and old is what makes it awesome!

·
Registered
273 Posts
It looks clean in picture. The lift appears to be all in the leaf springs which is much better than the lift combo in the last one you posted IMO. It's a plus if the business that installed the lift has a good reputation in your area. I would want to know more about the engine. I assume Jasper is the company who rebuilt it? Did a reputable business install it? I'd ask for receipts. It appears a the owner spent money on the sound system which is not my preference in a Jeep. It's nice, but if I owned it someone would steal it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Jasper is a engine builder/distributor and they have a very good rep. X2 on the install question. Take it for a nice LONG test drive.

·
Mr Jeepy of California
466 Posts
How much doe for the Jeep?

·
Registered
278 Posts
All I can say is if you buy a jeep that old you better plan on becoming a mechanic. I have a 92 in amazing shape that has been garaged for the last 15 years and only driven for fun (not DD) and every time I turn around there is something new to replace. Don't get me wrong I enjoy that part, I think that is half of the fun. In the last 2 years I have had to fix steering linkage, catalytic converter, steering column, exhaust manifold.
I don't share this to scare you off but to make sure you are aware of the work these older jeeps need. I see all these as reasons to upgrade so I enjoy the upgrades but am able to do them myself. Good luck with whatever you purchase.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Asking price is too high, he's trying to get as much back out of it as he put into it, even if it does have a new engine in it.

As is with any older vehicle, you have to have mechanical knowledge. Parts are more prone to wearing out, especially in American made vehicles. If you don't want to work on it at all then I'd suggest investing into a new Camry or something you don't have to work on, not an old Jeep. If you're not afraid to get dirty sometimes, then by all means go for a Jeep.

·
Mr Jeepy of California
466 Posts
I wouldn't pay 3500 for that Jeep imo. Especially with an automatic.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I also think that the price is too high. It looks very clean but you'll want to look very closely for rust. People love to hide it with fresh paint.

·
Administrator
12,562 Posts
Keep looking.. you can get a TJ for that price.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Far too high!! I agree with those that say you could find a pretty nice tj. Most mods are put on for personal taste. Nobody should expect to get all of the cost of their mods back when they sell. Hold out IMO.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Far too high!! I agree with those that say you could find a pretty nice tj. Most mods are put on for personal taste. Nobody should expect to get all of the cost of their mods back when they sell. Hold out IMO.
Just like a street rod. You can spend 80,000 in building up really nice and stuff but only sell it for 30,000

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
nice looking jeep but the price is high even though he probably has quite a bit more than that in it.
as you have limited mech. knowledge I'd look for something newer.
one thing I find humorous in these threads is people looking for mods done by a professional, most yj owners enjoy doing their own mods and many are capable of doing quality work.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Honestly mods (lift kits, tires, winches, etc) doesn't really increase the price of the vehicle all that much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts