Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Does anyone see a benefit in getting a full tranny fluid change and new filter early on?

The first weeks of life can leave metal slivers and chards from the brand new gears in the system, I heard. Or, is that just folklore....?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
IMHO, that hasn't been true for a few decades.

I remember about 40+ years ago, it was normal to change out all the oil/fluids after 1,000 miles or so, for just the reasons you mention.

Reactions: haroldsinclair

·
Registered
242 Posts
No filter for manual trans. I did mine at about 1500 because I wanted to change to full synthetic. Changing it this early is really up to you and how long you plan to keep the jeep. I plan to keep it a long time and it is so easy to do (need to make or buy a special tool to reach drain plug because of exhaust) so it was a no brainer.

Do check the fluid level even if you don't choose to change it. Mine was almost a quart low from the factory and I heard this is all too common. Remove fill plug and pump fluid in until it starts dripping out and replace fill plug.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts