Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm going to buy 15" wheels. The procomp ones with the 8 circles on them. Going to get the all black and 33" duratracs.

What do y'all think about going to a 15" wheel?

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I think I'm going to buy 15" wheels. The procomp ones with the 8 circles on them. Going to get the all black and 33" duratracs.

What do y'all think about going to a 15" wheel?
The argument for smaller wheels: lighter weight, lower cost, cheaper tire cost, fatter sidewall, bigger contact patch.

There really isn't an argument against, other than personal preference. Some peeps just don't dig on the smaller wheel.

For 15's, make sure the ones you're looking at will fit over your Jeep's brake calipers. Most alloy 15's will; most 15" steelies will not.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I think the only downside is the lack of space between the wheel and brakes. Some say it negatively impacts brake cooling by airflow. Sounds plausible but not sure if this is true or not.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
15s pros: Saves weight. Saves gas. Saves money. Best ride quality (softness) on the highway.

15s cons: Everything else. Must use wheels with ridiculously little backspacing in order to clear the calipers, so options are few. Leverage on bearings and axle shafts is increased. Puts tires WAY outside fenders which may be illegal in some states. Throws mud, rocks, road grime, etc. all over the sides of your vehicle. Makes you reach a lot farther to grab your bag at the McDs drive-thru because the tires are so far outside the flares that you can't get close to the window anymore. Changes the scrub radius of your tires when steering, may necessitate an alignment. 12.50 width tires increase hydroplaning odds. 12.50 tires decrease contact pressure on offroad obstacles (big article on this over at the expedition forums) so traction is actually decreased in certain circumstances. More sidwall means more body roll which means less handling characteristics on the windy highways. I'm getting tired of typing...

I'm still trying to decide which way to go with my setup. So many things to actually think about.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
WXman said:
15s pros: Saves weight. Saves gas. Saves money. Best ride quality (softness) on the highway.

15s cons: Everything else. Must use wheels with ridiculously little backspacing in order to clear the calipers, so options are few. Leverage on bearings and axle shafts is increased. Puts tires WAY outside fenders which may be illegal in some states. Throws mud, rocks, road grime, etc. all over the sides of your vehicle. Makes you reach a lot farther to grab your bag at the McDs drive-thru because the tires are so far outside the flares that you can't get close to the window anymore. Changes the scrub radius of your tires when steering, may necessitate an alignment. 12.50 width tires increase hydroplaning odds. 12.50 tires decrease contact pressure on offroad obstacles (big article on this over at the expedition forums) so traction is actually decreased in certain circumstances. More sidwall means more body roll which means less handling characteristics on the windy highways. I'm getting tired of typing...

I'm still trying to decide which way to go with my setup. So many things to actually think about.
Scrub radius ?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have 15s on mine now and love them. Bad thing is if i decide to go with 35s or 37s later I will end up buying wheels again. A lot of tire manufactures don't make the larger tires in 15s. Just something for you to think about.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
charlie4 said:
I have 15s on mine now and love them. Bad thing is if i decide to go with 35s or 37s later I will end up buying wheels again. A lot of tire manufactures don't make the larger tires in 15s. Just something for you to think about.
Not necessarily, there are a lot of tire manufacturers making tires in 35s and 37s for 15in rims

1 - 12 of 12 Posts