Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! First time about to be JKUW owner here (currently in D1 status) and I have heard about spacer lifts and wheel spacers that I can use for a more aggressive look without changing stock wheels or suspension.
Questions are:
How do spacers work for raising my ride height? And will it affect how it drives?
Do wheel spacers have any negative impact on the drivetrain (more strain/stress?)

Thanks everyone! I'm enjoying the forum and have learned a crap ton of stuff from ya'll.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Wheel spacers move your wheels out just like a wheel with less backspacing so yes it can wear out items such as ball joints etc a bit quicker then normal but the wear will depend on how aggressive your backspacing is. Mine is a 4.5" backspaced wheel and while my tires are out past the fenders by an inch or two it is still not what I'd call a really aggressive backspacing. I've seen some with almost the entire tire out past the fender and that will surely expedite ball joint wear etc.

I also run a Teraflex coil spacer leveling lift which raises my front 2" and my rear 1". The coil spacers are placed at the top of the spring perch then the coil spring is put back in this in affect raises your vehicle. Just remember the lift is to clear taller tires as it's the tires that give you the extra ground clearance at the axles not the lift. I have retained the stock ride and with a much wider tire then stock and 4.5" of backspacing my ride is actually more planted on the ground then it was stock height with the narrower tires and oem 6.25" backspaced wheels.

If you do however lift your Jeep but retain the stock wheels and tires without using wheel spacers to widen the stance then you have raised the center of gravity without adding width to the vehicle so it would be a bit more tippy then brfore.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts