Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the hell is a zerk nipple on my CA and what do they do? are they important?

thanks

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
A zerk fitting is that little thing that you attach your grease gun to. It is a one-way valve for the grease to flow through and surround the bearing, etc.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how often should you add grease to the CA?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,389 Posts
sorry my technical english isn´t the best. what´s a CA...?
CA stands for Control Arm. Not all control arms have zerk fittings though.

At a minimum, your Jeep has 7 zerk grease fittings on the front suspension that need to be greased on a regular basis. Some aftermarket parts have their own zerk grease fittings so you'll need to find them if they're present. Greasing those zerk fittings several times a year is usually enough.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are they any on an all stock suspention? if so where?

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
At a minimum, your Jeep has 7 zerk grease fittings on the front suspension that need to be greased on a regular basis.
my old '99 TJ had them at these points:

my 2006 TJ only has only 2 (or 3...?) at the front.
i have to search them sometimes. my TJ is only about 5000 miles old. the first service will be in some months...

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
I've seen them common on balljoints :) It looks just like the bleeder screw on brakes but it has a ball inside it that does not allow fluid to get out :)

I'm preatty sure you can get a screw and put it there instead of the nipple :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
What a rip off. I saw nipples and got excited.

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
Stock control arms will not have grease fittings (zerks/nipples) on them in your TJ.

·
Registered
258 Posts
One more thing don't overgrease your fittings on the suspension especially the ones that the grease goes in a rubber boot thing, just 2-3 pumps with a grease gun should work. I put to much in one of mine around the trackbar/ball joint area with the rubber boot and it caused it to rub and rip. On the control arms you just want to grease it enough to barely see it o0zing out around the bushing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
At Several of my grease locations I have grease coming out the sides. This was something that was going on when I bought it. I was told that it was ok as long as I keep things greased and clean. Just wandering, what is everyone else's opinion on this.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Stupid question but what kind of grease should I use. It is a stock front suspension.Also on the subject of greasing things my pro comp lift sqeeks when I go over speed bumps or take it on gravel bumpy roads. Is their a way to grees it or is it just old age?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts