Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A mate of mine from the Jeep club runs more lights than a christmas tree and a stack of other electricial gear before he headed off on his 5 month round Australia trip he installed a ZJ 136 amp alternator and it's overcharging .

Has anyone here done this conversion .

I was hopeing to get him an solution before he gets to his next stop he's in the middle of the outback at least a thousnd miles from a good Jeep mechanic

here's a link to his post on the Aussie forumhttp://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69285

Thanks

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
But Mr.C Your TJ came with a 4cyl right?

Well he must have had a 97-98 Wrangler as they have 90amp Alts... And didnt the 99-06 TJ's have 114amp alts?

·
WINNAR!!!!!!
2018 JLUR on tons and 40's.
6,852 Posts
But Mr.C Your TJ came with a 4cyl right?

Well he must have had a 97-98 Wrangler as they have 90amp Alts... And didnt the 99-06 TJ's have 114amp alts?
I have more than 1 jeep. ;)

Some wranglers came with a HD electrical system and I believe they are 136 amp alternators. :)

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
Some wranglers came with a HD electrical system and I believe they are 136 amp alternators. :)
I've only ever seen 90 & 117amp alts in TJs.... and from what I've read, only V8 ZJ's had 136amp alts.

krankieone - your friend has a '99 TJ correct? From what I've found, his alternator, the stone one I mean, that it was 117amp not 90amp, had an internal regulator... and the one he got out of the ZJ has an external. Thats why its overvolting.

If he can find an alternator from a 99-00 Dodge Truck, look like a V8, should bolt right it and has the needed internal regulator.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the response Fella's

If he can find an alternator from a 99-00 Dodge Truck, look like a V8, should bolt right it and has the needed internal regulator.
Unfortunately Chrysler didn't import them here so they'll be like rocking horse droppings

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
nicolas - 117amp

krankieone - if there are any Dodge B. Series Vans with a 3.9L, 5.2L or 5.9L that will work as well. Even Dodge Durango's. BUt again, I donno if you have them them. Good luck.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
It could be done if you knew the wiring on the alternator... I'm sure a regulator of an early to mid 80's truck would work, but you'd need to know how to wire it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts