Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that a cheap way to get about a 2 inch lift out of your TJ is to swap out the stock coil springs with front coil springs from a V8 ZJ grand Cherokee. Has anyone does this? What about the rear springs? Do those get swapped with the rear ZJ springs also? And what size shocks do I need to buy to accommodate the bigger coils?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Look up zj/cv lift. Zj front springs and crown Victoria rears you'll net between 2-3" front and 3-4" rear. You need shocks for however much lift you actually get. You will also need a sye/cv driveshaft (or a transfer case drop). I hear most don't like the ride you get from these springs. Control arms would help also for that much lift. Oh track bar relocation brackets front and rear. Good luck.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the info! This is sounding much more involved than I imagined. I've read stories of how these types of lifts just don't hold upend the back end starts to sag after a while. I think I'll just shell out the extra cash and buy a 2in suspension lift.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I never used CV rear springs, but I did have ZJ springs up front at one point. I used 2" BB spacers in the rear. At first, I had 2" BB on all four corners but didn't like the lack of travel it provided in the front. A guy in my Jeep club was selling a set of ZJ springs cheap so I figured I'd give it a try. At first, I wasn't sure because the ZJ spring was the same length as a TJ spring when uncompressed. However, they have a higher spring rate so there wasn't as much sag when installed. I like the tighter ride up front and the travel I got was acceptable for what I was using them for. With the ZJ springs the front sat 1" higher than with the 2" BB which was okay with me because I didn't like the factory rake anyway. I did not need a SYE for this lift but your results may vary.

Before with 2" BB and 1.25" BL

Here is after with the front 2" BB replaced by ZJ springs.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Did you have to do anything else special to deal with the springs? or do they just swap in and hold it higher?

hows the ride after? is there much change?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts