Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2001 TJ with a 1" body lift running 33's. I need new shocks and don't have a ton of coin to drop on them. The zone shocks are priced good so I'm wondering •Are they good quality? •I have no suspension lift so I need just the stock shock length? All the ones I've found are posted for jeeps with anywhere from 2" to 4" of lift.. Do they not make a shock for a jeep with no lift or will I be ok installing a shock rated for 2" of lift

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
The BDS standard white shocks are not good quality. Very soft, in fact after about 9 months when I finally replaced them I could compress them with my hands. Since its the same manufacturer I can only imagine that they are the same. I replaced with Pro Comp Pro Runners and I am very happy. I was told same performance as Bilstien 5150 for about 10 less a shock. I am very happy with the shock. The tube and construction looks just like the Bilstein as well, same color and all.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The BDS standard white shocks are not good quality. Very soft, in fact after about 9 months when I finally replaced them I could compress them with my hands. Since its the same manufacturer I can only imagine that they are the same. I replaced with Pro Comp Pro Runners and I am very happy. I was told same performance as Bilstien 5150 for about 10 less a shock. I am very happy with the shock. The tube and construction looks just like the Bilstein as well, same color and all.
A lot of people have said bad things about the Pro Comp shocks from my searching. I can get the Blisten HD's for around $68 a shock. I'm just concerned about not having any lift and installing shocks that are rated for 0-2" lift... From what I've found they will be to long and will bottom out

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also have been seeing lots of good reviews on the rancho9000's... I like that they are adjustable bc I want a smooth ride on the road bc I do about 80% on road driving with my jeep.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I have seen the bad reviews regarding the lower end shocks, but not a single one for the Pro Runners. Completely different animal.

And measure what you have now, and order the same. I don't put a lot of faith in claims of 0-2 inch or whatever. An example is the BDS I took off, they were for a 3 inch lift, but I would bottom out (read teeth jarring bottom out) over a little ol' speed bump. Measured exactly what I needed and no more bottoming out. The Pro Comp's are much firmer as well...

Rancho seems to have a good following as well.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have seen the bad reviews regarding the lower end shocks, but not a single one for the Pro Runners. Completely different animal. And measure what you have now, and order the same. I don't put a lot of faith in claims of 0-2 inch or whatever. An example is the BDS I took off, they were for a 3 inch lift, but I would bottom out (read teeth jarring bottom out) over a little ol' speed bump. Measured exactly what I needed and no more bottoming out. The Pro Comp's are much firmer as well... Rancho seems to have a good following as well.
Ok I'm leaning towards the Rancho RS9000XL's
Stock length vs Rancho's
Front shock Length
•Stock 13"/20.5"
•Rancho 13.25"/20.5"
Rear Shock Length
•Stock 12.2"/19.2"
•Rancho 12.75"/19.13"
Now is the slight difference in compressed & extended lengths going to hurt me? I don't want to tear them up.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I really can't answer that. You probably need to cycle your axles to make sure. Maybe Jerry or Unlimited can chime in.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some good info on the bilstein replacement shocks for stock height. If I were you though I would just buy cheap stock height monroe shocks until you decide to add some suspension lift. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/replacing-original-shocks-springs-what-buy-1300348/
I'm not really interested in putting a lift on the jeep. But there is some good info there.. Might start looking at the OME springs. Have heard the Blisten HD's are to harsh or a ride for a TJ and mine has half doors and I never run a back seat

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I'm leaning towards the Rancho RS9000XL's Stock length vs Rancho's Front shock Length •Stock 13"/20.5" •Rancho 13.25"/20.5" Rear Shock Length •Stock 12.2"/19.2" •Rancho 12.75"/19.13" Now is the slight difference in compressed & extended lengths going to hurt me? I don't want to tear them up.
Can anyone tell me if the difference in lengths is gonna hurt or not?? I've given up on getting a response from Rancho

1 - 14 of 14 Posts