Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts
Good advice by Guzzi, sounds like the 1-2.5" Falcon will be alright on length if all those listed specs are correct, so maybe that settles it.

Won't matter if you stick with the Falcons, but I will say it seems you may have gotten some overly pessimistic input on the Rocksports. I wonder how many who advised against them had run them versus just assuming they're low quality due to the price. I'm not the pickiest with my suspension dynamics, don't have the heaviest setup out there, and don't drive like a Baja racer, but with those caveats they've served me well over a thousand or two miles offroad loaded for multi day camping (10-15 gal water, 8gal fuel, couple hundred pounds other junk...).

Oh, wanted to add, might want to look into a shock skid for the rear Falcons since the adjuster dial is right down at the bottom and at risk of taking a crack from a rock. Might be good to install a rear lower CA/shock skid at the same time as installing the MC lift, because the rear trackbar relocation bracket uses the rear lower CA bolt just like many shock skids do. Might be easier to install both at the same time so that you don't have to adjust that track bar bracket later.

Discussion starter · #62 ·
Oh, wanted to add, might want to look into a shock skid for the rear Falcons since the adjuster dial is right down at the bottom and at risk of taking a crack from a rock. Might be good to install a rear lower CA/shock skid at the same time as installing the MC lift, because the rear trackbar relocation bracket uses the rear lower CA bolt just like many shock skids do. Might be easier to install both at the same time so that you don't have to adjust that track bar bracket later.
I saw the shock skid plates for the falcons and they are on the list.

IMO it is probably a mistake going with Falcons or any off the self shock when shocks specifically designed for a lift/spring are available. Shocks are designed to control the springs based on spring rate, weight of the vehicle and type of terrain. MC shocks are specifically designed for there lift and a vehicle that is fully outfitted, i.e. skids, bumpers, winch, etc. with a bent towards the rocks (long travel). My Jeep empty is 1000 lbs heavier than the day it was born and I still have 2.5 inches of lift. An example of this is Rancho 9000 shocks, they are pretty much useless except at there lowest setting. Going stiffer is not the solution when it comes to MC springs.

The down side to RockSports or any mono tube shock design is shock fade which can be a problem overlanding especially at higher speeds. In this scenario 6Paks, though really designed for the rocks or a custom valve shock with remote reservoir would be a better solution. I would really recommend the later unless you want max capability in the rocks. I do it all with my rig but it really is set up for the rocks which I enjoy the most.

I would give Accutune and Filthy Motor Sports a call before making a final commitment. These are the two I am familiar with though there are others. I would also give MetalCloak a call and talk to them.

Discussion starter · #64 ·
I have the 34 inch tires on there way to the shop. Metal Cloak has been ordered, and I have possession of my Falcon 3.3s I am thinking that this is the time to regear. I will never go above 35" tires and since this will be an overlanding rig. I am thinking 4.88 is better for me than 5.10 .. Is there any flaw in my thinking ?

I'd agree, I have the factory 4.10s and they're ok with my smallish 35s that are really more like 34s. If I ever regeared I'd go 4.88 as I also don't plan to go bigger than true 35s, and 4.88 could get by with 37s if I changed my mind on that. 5.13 would be quite aggressive just for 35s IMO, even more so with 34s.

Discussion starter · #66 ·
I'd agree, I have the factory 4.10s and they're ok with my smallish 35s that are really more like 34s. If I ever regeared I'd go 4.88 as I also don't plan to go bigger than true 35s, and 4.88 could get by with 37s if I changed my mind on that. 5.13 would be quite aggressive just for 35s IMO, even more so with 34s.
My build sheet says I have 3.73 as my starting point, this is why I feel the regear may be really needed.

Discussion starter · #67 ·
Tires have been delivered. falcon 3.3 shocks delivered. 4.88 gears delivered. Waiting on metal cloak
what would you guys do next if you had another 1500 to throw at something?

sleeves ? Gussets ? Drive shaft ? Axles ? Or upgrade suspension ? .

Should have stuck with the Rocksports. They're designed for the lift, and MC's springs are designed for heavy builds. The Gamechanger lift was what you wanted for a complete lift out of the box.

I've known two guys that ran falcons in their Metalcloak lifts, and both are using Rocksports now.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #69 ·
Should have stuck with the Rocksports. They're designed for the lift, and MC's springs are designed for heavy builds. The Gamechanger lift was what you wanted for a complete lift out of the box.

I've known two guys that ran falcons in their Metalcloak lifts, and both are using Rocksports now.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk
This will be a over landing rig I’m not looking for heavy articulation and want to tune ride for long stretches of highway

This will be a over landing rig I’m not looking for heavy articulation and want to tune ride for long stretches of highway
If that is what you wanted to do buying an off the self shock was not the right way to go about it. It does not matter that the shock itself has tuning dial or not, if the shock is not within range to control your spring with respect to the spring rate, type of driving conditions and weight of the vehicle you are out of luck. And $1500 or so is a large gamble for something that may or may not work. An example of this is the Rancho 9000 and MC springs. Only the first 2 settings really work for the springs, after that the shock is way to firm.

Discussion starter · #71 ·
If that is what you wanted to do buying an off the self shock was not the right way to go about it. It does not matter that the shock itself has tuning dial or not, if the shock is not within range to control your spring with respect to the spring rate, type of driving conditions and weight of the vehicle you are out of luck. And $1500 or so is a large gamble for something that may or may not work. An example of this is the Rancho 9000 and MC springs. Only the first 2 settings really work for the springs, after that the shock is way to firm.
I hear you.... but for the record I got an amazing deal on them 1000, and I can have them revalved to softer if I choose.

So even if I sell them used for 500 bucks my net risk not including time is 500. Thats worth the gamble to me .

many of the Overlanders I know run that shock, so again worth the risk to me. Worst case is I revert to rock shocks and I loose 500. we will see in a matter of weeks

Discussion starter · #72 · (Edited)
OK....so the lift - falcons - larger tires are done!!! Thank you for all your help .... this board was instrumental in me making some key choices.. and I will report back to you on how stiff the ride feels after I get it though its break in period.

but here is the finished product :

When I lifted my Jeep I went with the AEV 2.5" lift with the geobrackets. It's been solid for a few years. However, as I'm adding more weight to the vehicle (steel bumpers, Warn Xeon winch, front G2 Core 44, Dometic fridge, Goose decking, etc etc) I'm finding the height increase from the 2.5" lift decreasing. This year it looks like I'll be pulling out the AEV lift and putting in a MetalCloak 3.5" Game Changer.

I've been running 35x12.5R17 KO2's since the AEV lift went on. Great tires and will likely stay with them.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.